Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Something to Entertain and Educate

It sometimes takes more than just a long lecture to get the message across.  Yes, lectures do get the message across but most humans - hard-headed ones like me - just don't have the attention span to listen especially if the topic does not directly affect them.  Before I got diagnosed with HIV, I wasn't also paying that much attention to people who are living with the virus and to what they've got to say.

What could have also stopped me on my tracks and made me listen though, are movies.  First of all, everyone loves movies.  I love, in particular, serious movies with serious messages.  It's just another misfortune that I haven't gone out and watch a movie about HIV/AIDS.  I think films are a powerful tool to reach out to young people and they can get the message across without killing those with ADHD out of boredom.

I've looked around for good films about HIV/AIDS and here's a short list of what I'm going to watch this weekend:

1.  Philadelphia - I had actually watched this movie when I was like in kindergarten - eons ago. I just didn't remember what it was all about.  What I haven't forgotten is that Tom Hanks is written all over it and I think he even won an Oscar for his role in this film so I guess this is worth watching again.



2.  Rent -  Based on a musical of the same title, I am wondering myself why this hasn't grabbed my attention until now.  I even don't have a clue if this film was shown in theaters here.  This better be good because - except for the drugs - I think I can definitely find some connections between my life and the characters' lives.



3. Angels in America - This is an epic HBO mini-series and I hate that I actually missed to watch this.  How could I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rent had a run in the local theaters way back 2005 or 2006 ata. Rent had a successful staging (again) the entire month of feb this year. Gian Magdangal played Roger.

--new reader

fishinthepacific said...

thanks for the info! :)